The Russian River Valley Winegrowers (RRVW) are putting on “Single Night” June 5th at Healdsburg’s C. Donatiello Winery, an event geared to Millennials, the offspring of the Baby Boomers, with group adventure auction lots like kayaking to a clam bake.
While the focal point of the event, from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m., is on a tasting of single vineyard wines from the region, the auction trumps for adventurers. Lots include a test drive in a new Audi at Infineon Raceway to roaming through the vineyards on a jeep. The idea is for groups of 4 to 8 to pool their money in this economic downturn for an adventuresome romp through the Russian River Valley.
During the tasting “Cellar Teams” will promote their Adventure Lots to raise funds for educational programs and future events. As for the sipping portion of the program, Taste Live will be producing live chatter online while bloggers taste the wine at the event.
Tickets are $45 in advance at www.rrvw.org.
Here’s a peek at some of the lots:
1) Get Around with Dominic, lot donated by Dominic Foppoli, Foppoli Wines for two people. It begins with brunch at Sky Lounge Restaurant in the Charles Schulz Airport in Santa Rosa and a private plane ride over the Russian River Valley. Then it’s off to Infineon Raceway for a test drive of the new Audi and then back to Foppoli Vineyrds and Ranch for lunch.
2) Wine, Kayak & Clam Bake, lot donated by Chris Donatiello, C. Donatiello Winery for eight people. It begins with a private tour and tasting in the “Board Room” and then kayaking down the river to a sandy beach where your private chef will have set up a clam bake and a fabulous feast.
3) Hike Jackass Hill, lot donated by Regina Martinelli, Martinelli Winery for four to eight people. The exercise fanatic will love this hike up the Jackass Hill, the steepest non-terraced vineyard in Sonoma County. A tour and tasting with snacks in the historical family barn to follow
4) A Passion for Pizza, Pinot and Peddling, lot donated by Adam Fuleky and Ketcham Estate for six people. It begins with bicycling from Ketcham Estate’s vineyard to Healdsburg for about ten miles round trip, returning for a make your own pizza party in the estate’s gigantic pizza oven. The pizza will be paired with Ketcham’s Estate pinots. Six tickets to Pinot Days San Francisco are included in this lot.
5) Up, up and wine away, lot donated by Katey and Nicole Bacigalup of John Tyler Wines for four people. Hot air balloon ride with “A Balloon Over Sonoma” to fly over the Russian River Valley, landing in the Bacigalupi estate owned by this family for three generations. A tasting of library wines and new releases to follow lunch.
6) It takes Energy to hang in the Russian River Valley, lot donated by Cale Garemendi of Solar Works and the Dutton Family Ranch for eight people. It begins at the Dutton Ranch for home style barbeque. Then it’s off to Dutton Estate Winery for a tasting of their wines and a personal tour by Cale of Solar Works. Next it’s off to Hotel Healdsburg for an overnight stay and dinner at Dry Creek Kitchen. An added perk: meet Cale for a round of golf at the Santa Rosa Country Club.
7) Trek with Russian River Valley’s Indiana Jones, lot donated by Chuck Mansfield and Hop Kiln Winery for six people. Winemaker Chuck Mansfield will join you for a Russian River Valley jeep excursion in two open-air classic 1950’s jeeps. Climb to the ranch’s high peak overlooking the entire Russian River Valley, and then return to the winery for a barrel tasting and hearty lunch with Chuck.
8) Cave Dwelling Russian River Valley Style, lot donated by Jeremy Baker and Thomas George Estate for eight people. It begins with a private catered dinner party for eight in the winery’s new 1200 sq ft. caves. Dinner includes the winery’s entire array of wine varieties paired with the food and Winemaker Chris Russi(CQ) will conduct a barrel tasting leaving time to howl at the moon from this beautiful estate.
9) A mid-day Full Moon? Lot donated by Randy Pitts and Harvest Moon Winery for six people. Join Randy for a “Zinfanatic Course” on the growing and winemaking of Russian River Valley Zinfandel. A tour of the estate and a tasting and lunch follow. A special after-lunch treat will be an Olive Oil blending seminar where you will blend your own.